...stuff you may not know
On this Presidents Day...some things you may not know about the 43 men who have led our nation:
- Five presidents never held elected office before winning the White House: Taylor, Grant, Taft, Hoover and Eisenhower
- Virginia has produced the most presidents, 8; Ohio is next with 7.
- Eight presidents died in office; four of them - Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley and Kennedy - were assassinated.
- Only one president never married (Buchanan). Only one was ever divorced (Reagan). Six had no children.
- For two years, the United States had a President and Vice-President who were not elected by the American people (Gerald Ford and Nelson Rockefeller).
- In addition to Al Gore in 2000, several candidates won the popular vote on election day but lost the presidency. Andrew Jackson lost to John Quincy Adams in 1824; Samuel J. Tilden lost to Rutherford B. Hayes in 1876; Grover Cleveland lost to Benjamin Harrison in 1888 - and, most recently, Gore, who lost to George W. Bush.
More trivia later. -Paul Brandus